Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dear Skeptic: Read the Book!

Dear skeptic—

I've talked with you in many places. You are an individual with many faces. I'm almost always impressed by your enthusiasm, especially when you're friendly but even when you're not. I always leave feeling that we have more in common than perhaps you realize. 

I've heard it all—Why did the Church practice polygamy? Why couldn't blacks hold the priesthood until 1978? Why can't women hold the priesthood? Why do you adhere to such onerous health and moral codes? Why are you hiding secrets from us in your temples? I could go on but I won't.

I know the Book of Mormon is true. You can, too

Sometimes you accuse me of oversimplifying these perceived problems when I use the Book of Mormon to respond to your objections. But why wouldn't the answer be simple? Nature herself is wondrously simple.

I discovered I enjoy playing the piano by actually playing the piano. I learned the Book of Mormon is true by actually reading and praying about the Book of Mormon.

I do not understand how to build, repair, refinish, refurbish or tune a piano. I don't understand the intricacies behind creating hammers and strings and pedals and keys. I don't let that stop me from playing Clair de Lune and Liebestraume. I don't need to know all there is to know about the physical structure of a piano in order to understand its musical value of soothing and healing and inspiring human souls.

I don't understand all the details behind polygamy and priesthood, health codes and church history. And guess what? I don't need to know it all. I know the Book of Mormon is true. Because I know the Book of Mormon is true I know Joseph Smith is a prophet called of God. I know he restored the Savior's Church again to the Earth.

I don't need to know every historical antecedent in order to realize "what great things" the restored gospel of Jesus Christ has worked in my life and the lives of many millions more.

Someday I will find answers to all of those gospel questions. (I'm already finding some answers). If I'm lucky, maybe I'll even learn how to construct a piano. In the meantime I'm not giving up on the Book of Mormon any more than I'm giving up on Beethoven or Brahms. I've received spiritual confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true.

What greater witness can you have than from God?

Love,
A Friend

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful analogy! You make a wonderful point; there isn't enough time in our short lives here on earth to understand every detail of everything we have an interest it, but that can't keep us from enjoying them! And the process of learning can also bring us great joy-- I'm sure that as you studied and practiced the piano, you got greater joy from playing and listening to it.

    The gospel is the same in the respect, too. We get joy from it, and as we study, ponder, and live it, our joy is increased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. We tend to waste so much time worrying about what we don't know instead of embracing what we do know. Doubts and worries and fears just keep us from learning greater truths. And I totally agree—we find joy from doing what we love and living gospel truths.

    ReplyDelete