Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What Are You Thankful For?

I love sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ online, but I've always been a little bothered by the pessimistic flavor I find on Facebook. It's so easy to gripe, whine, complain and stir the pot, especially when you're hiding behind a computer screen. But the Savior wasn't a griper, whiner, complainer or pot-stirrer, and He never suggested we ought to be. In fact, He taught us to be perfect "even as my Father which is in heaven is perfect", "even as I am." (Matthew 5:48, 3 Nephi 27:27)

A living apostle noted
Yes, life has its problems, and yes, there are negative things to face, but please accept one of Elder Holland's maxims for living—no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse.
Which is why I was so happy when the Thanksgiving season rolled around. Nary a negative status update or comment. Complaints were few and accusations rare. I relished in this temporary online utopia but regretted that it must soon come to an end.

God has granted each of us a cornucopia of blessings

Gratitude is a cardinal Christian virtue, one we ought to carry in our hearts all the time and not just on the fourth Thursday in November. President Gordon B. Hinckley taught
When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism; you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives.
Thankfully I have thankful friends, and out of desire to bask in the sunlight of their gratitude I posted this prompt on Facebook: What are you thankful for? Here are your responses—

  • Maer: A lot! My life and my family; friends for loving me for who I am :)
  • Kimberlee: I am thankful for answers to prayers!
  • Nancy: You! And all the missionaries!
  • Jessica: I am really thankful for doctors and medicine right now cause I have been sick all week!
  • Angie: I'm thankful for my Lord and Savior! I'm stoked to celebrate his birthday again!
  • Salvador: My family
  • Aimee: I was just sitting here marveling how sometimes my Heavenly Father answers prayers that haven't become prayers yet...just worries and concerns. I am thankful he knows me so well!
  • Melinda: I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost
  • Jessica: I am thankful for beds
  • Alicia: I am thankful for Christmas...without the birth of our Savior there would be no atonement, no resurrection, no New Testament, no Book of Mormon, no Doctrine and Covenants, no modern-day prophets, no LDS chapels and temples, no missionaries, and I would never have met you! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
  • Blair: I am thankful for my family and the support that they give me continually

MORE ONLINE

No comments:

Post a Comment