Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mitt Files — Families Are Forever

This is the second in a series focusing on Mitt Romney's spiritual beliefs. As a full-time representative of Jesus Christ I am called to invite others to come unto ChristFeel free to contribute to this discussion, but keep comments focused on the gospel of Jesus Christ. View earlier Mitt Files here.

Marriage in the temple seals
families together forever
Perhaps you've noticed that family is pretty important to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mormons believe that true happiness comes from keeping God's commandments, and those values are best taught by a loving mother and father in the home.

In a groundbreaking proclamation issued nearly twenty years ago, modern prophets and apostles extolled the importance of family and warned against the disintegration of the family unit. That proclamation reads, in part—
The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities...
We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets. (Excerpts from The Family: A Proclamation to the World, Sept. 1995)
Because we believe we can live together with our families if we are faithful to covenants, we make and keep covenants in the temple. We strive to keep God's commandments. We work to develop positive relationships with family members. We learn to work, to live, and to love. And we look for opportunities to serve people around us, recognizing that the most important thing we can do is to follow the Savior's commandment to love Him and to love our neighbors.

My wonderful family! Me, Dad, Mom, Harrison
Audrey, Austin, Derek

I love my family. They mean everything to me. They are my friends. My parents and siblings have helped to create a home centered on the teachings of Jesus Christ. My home is a safe haven, a home filled with love truth and good memories.

A cherished hymn expresses our feelings about family so well—

I have a family here on earth.
They are so good to me.
I want to share my life with them
through all eternity.
Families can be together forever
through Heavenly Father's plan.
I always want to be with my own family
and the Lord has shown me how I can.  

What does family mean to you? What are you doing to make your family better today?

MORE ONLINE 
Happiness in Family Life
The Importance of the Family, Elder L. Tom Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment