Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shredding for Service

I volunteer at the Adult Education Center where I teach English classes twice a week. I love my students and I'm amazed at how hard they work to learn a difficult language. They don't give up!

This experience has honed my teaching skills and improved my grasp of the language. The greatest benefit, however, is the determination and hope that fills my soul every time I'm around my students. It's impossible not to be inspired when you're surrounded by determined, hopeful people.

Once I showed up to an empty classroom! In my eight months at the center that had never happened before. Determined (there's that word again) to make the best use of our time, my companion and I asked the administrators if we could take on another project.

Okay, maybe we had a little too much fun

That's how I found myself sorting through and shredding thousands of folders of expired paperwork. As a child I actually asked for a paper shredder for my birthday (don't ask questions), so this chore was really no chore at all.

Though I was performing a menial task I left the center feeling the same way I do after a structured service project—fulfilled.

As a missionary I've painted houses, coated rooftops, raked leaves, chopped wood, visited widows, baked cookies and offered an encouraging word. Here's how some of you serve in the community—

  • Patsy: Cleanup after the [Nashville area] tornadoes
  • Misty: I have been running a crisis line for the past decade and many times have had to put people on overnight suicide watch. The fact that they are all still alive and many of them now thriving is very humbling and definitely leaves me with warm fuzzy feelings
  • Catherine: Being a block parent
  • Wade: I help serve everyone I meet by trying to be the best example I can be and helping them with anything they need help with. I just try to show others how much I care about them. Most of the time my service to others goes unnoticed, but I think just being there for people is service in itself

The Book of Mormon teaches us that service provides immediate and long-lasting rewards and reminds us why we ought to serve—
When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. (Mosiah 2:17)
Look for an upcoming post full of more ideas on how you can serve someone today. Leave your ideas in the comments below, and I'll be sure to include them.

MORE ONLINE
The Savior's Call to Serve, President Thomas S. Monson
Opportunities to Do Good, President Henry B. Eyring
The Sanctifying Work of Welfare, Bishop H. David Burton

2 comments:

  1. Why is it no surprise to me that you wanted a paper shredder as a birthday present?
    Maybe next year you can ask for a camera ;)

    I love how there are a billion and 3 ways to serve. And when the planned service doesn't work out there is always some other back up plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, so I actually broke down about two weeks before this picture was taken and bought a camera. I think I've taken more pictures in the last month than the rest of my mission combined.

    Yes, service is great. Pretty much my favorite thing ever.

    ReplyDelete