Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Redefining Weakness

For months I've tried to describe a precious truth I've been learning piece by piece, primarily on my mission. While teaching a group of missionaries four days ago at the MTC the revelation came in an instant. (If ever the cliche 'crystal clear' was appropriate, it fits here):
I define my strengths and weaknesses.
Need further evidence? Let me introduce you to just a few of the people I've met who live this principle:

  • Mike Schlappi, the wheelchair-bound paralympian who transformed a personal tragedy into an inspiring life of motivating service
  • Elie Wiesel, the champion of peace and equality who endured indescribable hardship in a Nazi concentration camp. Wiesel has been described as a "messenger to mankind"
  • RaNae McKee, the beauty queen-turned-mom (to children, foster children and missionaries) who defied death by freely sharing her life
  • Kevin Carroll, the idealistic, energetic sexagenarian who believes in the power of a red rubber ball

Can anyone dispute that these men and women have overcome significant obstacles? Can anyone doubt that they view their impediments, handicaps and experiences as strengths, not limitations?

The struggle to redefine weakness as fortitude is something I'm well acquainted with. Someday I'll tell you my story. 

But really it's not my story any more than it's your story. And it's not really your story, either. It's our story - mankind's story - our collective effort to process, understand and overcome our private struggles. You cannot win a personal battle without inspiring another soul. My mission president says, "Everything you do affects another soul."


The ultimate author of this story is the "author and finisher of our faith", the One who willingly bore each piercing pain in an effort to love, understand and redeem us all (see Hebrews 12:2, Alma 7:11-13). The miracle of the Atonement is not that Christ will take away our weakness, pain, and sorrow. The miracle is that He will change our weakness into strength, turn our pain into power, and develop our sorrow into everlasting joy. 

I finally perceive the meaning of the Lord's timeless words:
If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27, emphasis added) 

No comments:

Post a Comment