Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Holy Temple

One of the greatest testimonies that God loves His children is that He provides us with temples—literally His houses, and places where we can worship Him and feel the spirit in a measure unequaled anywhere else on earth.

Manti Utah Temple

The temple is a sacred place. Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints must live worthily to go inside. Worthiness is gauged by a member's obedience to commandments like the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity and tithing. Through baptism and obedience to God's commandments and ordinances, anyone can become worthy to enter these sacred edifices.
Las Vegas Nevada Temple
 A feeling of peace prevails in the temple. The daily stressors of life are forgotten as one meditates on greater things, away from the noise and commotion of the world. Former LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008) said:

"I hope that everyone gets to the temple on a regular basis. If we are a temple-going people, we will be a better people. I know your lives are busy. I know that you have much to do. But I make you a promise that if you will go to the house of the Lord, you will be blessed, life will be better for you."
Mesa Arizona Temple

I've been privileged to go through four temples in Manti, Utah; Las Vegas, Nevada; Mesa, Arizona; and Provo, Utah. Each temple, though different in shape and structure, has the same purpose. And in each temple I felt an overwhelming spirit of peace and contentment. Soon, I'll have the opportunity to go through the Nashville Tennessee Temple. I earnestly look forward to that day.

Provo Utah Temple
There are now more than 130 temples operating worldwide. The stories associated with each temple are beautiful and inspiring. They are stories of sacrifice and sanctification. Each Tuesday, I will feature a new temple on this blog. Is there a temple you would like to see me spotlight?

Learn more about temples here.

No comments:

Post a Comment