Friday, April 22, 2011

None Were with Him

Like most of you, my testimony of the restored gospel has come bit by bit, piece by piece over the years. I can count but few instances in my life where I've felt the spirit so strongly that I could remember these experiences vividly years later.

Listening to Elder Jeffrey R. Holland speak about the atonement in General Conference two years ago was one of those times. I can still remember the way I felt then. I cannot describe in words those emotions, but I feel them even as I type this post.


Some of my favorite lines:

"For His Atonement to be infinite and eternal, He had to feel what it was like to die not only physically but spiritually, to sense what it was like to have the divine Spirit withdraw, leaving one feeling totally, abjectly, hopelessly alone."

"[O]ne of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so."

"This Easter week and always, may we stand by Jesus Christ 'at all times and in all things, and in all places that [we] may be in, even until death,' for surely that is how He stood by us when it was unto death and when He had to stand entirely and utterly alone."

I'm not sure I'll ever understand how Jesus Christ was able to suffer for my sins, and for yours; for our trials, our weaknesses, our hungers, our disappointments, our discouragements, our fears, our handicaps, and our faults. But I know that He did suffer, and that because of His selfless suffering, we can repent and be forgiven of our sins. Regardless of our situation in life, He knows exactly what we're going through. He will strengthen and sustain us, if we will let Him.

As we approach Easter Sunday, I'm profoundly grateful for my Savior. What have you done today to exercise faith in Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment