Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Perspective

A few weeks ago my companion and I were walking along some cobblestone steps that led to somebody's house. From out of the corner of my eye, I noticed these steps had an interesting design.

I wanted to get a better look at the steps, but I didn't want to slow my pace or stop walking. Initially, I tried looking ahead at the next step to gain a better idea of what it looked like. Because I was walking quickly, my mind didn't have time to register what I saw.

I wanted to get a better look at the steps, but I didn't want to slow my pace or stop walking.

I soon discovered that if I changed my perspective by looking three or four steps ahead of me instead of one or two, my mind would have time to internalize what I was seeing, and I wouldn't have to alter my pace.

Sometimes we all need a fresh perspective. We may not even need to change what we're doing, only how we see things. A few scenarios illustrate this truth:
  • A college student wakes up every morning at 6 a.m. to read the Book of Mormon before going to school. He discovers he no longer finds joy in reading so early in the morning.
  • A young mother with two noisy children feels like she isn't receiving answers to her prayers.
  • A business executive faithfully pays his tithing but doesn't recognize his blessings.
These individuals are doing good things. It is not necessary for them to alter their good habits. Instead, they need to alter the way they view these habits.

Perhaps the college student needs to go to sleep earlier so he can more fully enjoy his early morning studies.

Maybe the young mother needs to find quiet time to pray so she can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost confirming that she is, indeed, receiving answers from her Father in Heaven.

The business executive might take time to ponder and acknowledge the blessings he receives from God.

What they should not do is abandon scripture study, prayer and tithing! The practice is not the problem; perspective is. We can change our perspectives by developing gratitude. If we feel that the good things we do are not making us happy, it's time to "stop and smell the roses", as the saying goes. A healthy dose of gratitude will cure our inclination toward doubt, fear, boredom or self-pity.

Like the college student, young mother and business executive, we can develop additional good behaviors that will complement the good habits we already have.

Carol B. Olsen taught, "An eternal perspective...allows us to look within ourselves and understand what is truly important."

Developing a fresh perspective toward the gospel of Jesus Christ will fill us with greater peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment