Saturday, June 18, 2011

Scripture Saturday — 1 Nephi 1:1

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days." (1 Nephi 1:1)

Like the Book of Mormon prophet Nephi, I too was 'born of goodly parents'. I was instructed in the 'learning of my father', and I attribute my decision to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in part to my dad's strong example of faith.

My family!
Back row: Me, Dad (Kent), Mom (Denna), Harrison
Front row: Audrey, Austin, Derek
My dad has always been a hard worker. He's served in a variety of church callings and on a city council. But his greatest example of hard work is the quiet service he provides for others. He certainly lives James' admonition that we be 'doers of the word, and not hearers only' (James 1:22).

The influence of a righteous father is incalculable. I'm thankful for what my father has taught me about the gospel. I'm grateful for what he has taught me about work. My dad repeatedly emphasized the importance of service through his example. And he often taught me that I am not to be a burden on society; that I am to work and then give back to my family and community.

When I faced challenges, I always knew I could ask my dad for help. I wish everybody could say the same of their fathers. The world would be a much better place if they could.

One of the greatest things I've learned from my father is not to complain. I rarely saw him complain, even when he had ample reason to do so. He just went about working and serving. Work has to be done whether or not we want to do it, and my dad is always the first one to step up and get it done.

While I miss my father and my family tremendously, I'm grateful to be serving a mission and I know I'll see them again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment