Friday, February 10, 2012

2 - Journaling


I have a confession to make.

I'm behind in writing in my journal. Like really, really far behind. I don't know quite how it happened, but I need to catch up. My desire to get up-to-date was spurred in part by an e-mail from my mother admonishing me to keep a journal. She told me I won't ever want to forget the memories I make on my mission, and I believe her.

One of the things I love about writing in a journal is the perspective it gives me. When I'm having a bad day, I can refer to my journal and discover that I've made it through similar bad times before. When I need some personal inspiration, my greatest sources of support are prayer, scriptures and my journal. Here are some lessons I've learned through writing in my journal—

  • It's good to be able to give two years to the Lord since He's given everything to me. (March 2, 2011)
  • The way of missionary work (and life, really) is being put in situations before you're ready and then becoming qualified through hard work and the Lord's grace. (March 22, 2011)
  • Separation intensifies love. You never really realize until you are away from someone how much that person means to you. It's so easy to take others for granted, especially those we are closest to...Now that I'm away from friends and family, I realize just how much they mean to me. Never again will I take them for granted. Never again will I become so absorbed in myself that I forget to look for the good in others. (June 6, 2011)
  • It is wonderful to know that the Spirit was working through me in such a remarkable way. I'm grateful our Father in Heaven knows me and my situation. He placed me where I needed to be this evening, and by listening to the promptings of the spirit, we were able to bless this man. (September 29, 2011)
  • My service in Murfreesboro has forever changed my life. This is where I became a missionary. This is where I discovered myself. This is where I learned how to receive answers to my prayers. This is where I devoted myself to God forever. I've never regretted that decision since, and I don't expect I ever will. (November 28, 2011)
  • This was one of those lessons I will never forget. I will remember every detail. I will remember the spirit working through me as I asked inspired questions. I will remember saying things that were not from me but from God. I will remember the overpowering Spirit that seemed to fill my chest and the entire room. I will remember this man taking a leap of faith by committing to pray for the first time in his life. You simply cannot put a price on experiences like this. They forever change you. (January 10, 2012)

MORE ONLINE
2 Nephi 4:15-16
Let Us Move Forward and Upward, President Spencer W. Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment