Tuesday, February 14, 2012

3 - Simple Things


Greatness is made of small and simple things. Lives are made worthwhile and exciting when we find joy in the small and simple things we must do each day. People become great when they choose to see themselves and others around them as amazing. Greatness doesn't happen to us; it is a choice we must make every day.

When we focus on the small and simple things we can do instead of the grandiose and glorious things we want to do, we will discover that these small and simple things have added up to something great. A focus on the small and simple things enriches our lives and the lives of others.

The prophet Alma taught
Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

Marissa in Utah wrote, "I often think of myself as small and simple. This scripture reminds me that even though I may not be the most knowledgeable in the gospel, through my simple testimony I have the ability to bring others to the knowledge of the truth."

Carol, also in Utah, wrote, "It means by a small gesture, such as a smile, or assistance to someone, that things will grow in a beautiful way, hearts softened."

And Audrey in Tennessee commented, "It's the little things that can mean sooo much!"

I love all these thoughts because they are true. They acknowledge that it is in our daily acts of kindness and obedience that we achieve greatness. 

What small and simple things are you most grateful for?

MORE ONLINE
Alma 26:11-37
Of Things That Matter Most, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Small and Simple Things, Elder M. Russell Ballard

1 comment:

  1. One of the best simple things I remember was back at BYU. Whenever I was having a ttruly horrible, miserable, sad day, I would, without fail, run into my good friend and past-roommate. She would give me a hug and really just give me the strength to keep trekking! It got to the point where somedays I would think "Wonder when I will run into Beth!" And then I would. It was definitely a small and tender mercy from God, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete