Friday, February 17, 2012

5 - Growth


Serving a mission is the most physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting thing I've ever done. The rigorous nature of the work naturally leads to occasional bouts of discouragement and self-doubt when I question my ability to serve the Lord and my worth as one of God's children. It's during these times that I have to remind myself how much I've grown, for growth is almost imperceptible as it is happening.

Last night was one of those nights. I've found that simple things like prayer, scripture study, meditation and hot chocolate are very effective at warding off feelings of discouragement. One of the most powerful tools in my arsenal of happiness and fulfillment is music. Since the range of music I'm allowed to listen to as a missionary is quite limited (no Karen Carpenter or even Frederic Chopin), I indulged last night in a beautiful arrangement of Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. This pastoral hymn centers on the Shepherd's love for lost sheep. I felt very lost last night. This powerful hymn reminded me that I matter to the Savior and that He loves me with a perfect love. It also reminded me that He has this same love for each of God's children, and that the best way I can feel His love in my life is by losing myself in the service for others.

I'm grateful for these periods of personal growth. I've had many of them over the course of my mission and life. I'm sure you have as well. I'm grateful that the Lord is willing to rescue us from our situations of sorrow and despair. He will never leave us comfortless.

MORE ONLINE 
You Matter to Him, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
Finding Joy in Life, Elder Richard G. Scott 
"As Many as I Love, I Rebuke and Chasten", Elder D. Todd Christofferson 
The Sustaining Power of Faith in Times of Uncertainty and Testing, Elder Richard G. Scott

1 comment: