Friday, February 24, 2012

8 - Sleep


As a child I used any method I could think of to try to skip nap time. I use the word "try" because I was usually unsuccessful.

As a teenager I often thrived on late nights and little sleep. I was always working on some project and thought life would be much better if we humans didn't require sleep and could keep going, going, going...much like the Engergizer Bunny.

Now that I'm becoming an adult, I wish I could rewind the years and catch up on all the sleep I could have had. Only now do I realize how precious sleep is and how hard it is to come by.

My appreciation for sleep has been especially strong of late because I've been sick with the flu. I've looked forward, more than ever, to the eight hours of sleep we get each night as missionaries.

God's plan for us is perfect. There are no flaws. In my teenage ambition I didn't understand how valuable nightly periods of rest and renewal are for my body and soul, but God did. He designed it this way for a reason.

I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who knows our needs and our desires. I'm grateful that His plan is flawless and that we can return to live with Him someday.

MORE ONLINE
Now the Day Is Over, Hymns #159
Good, Better, Best, Elder Dallin H. Oaks
The Need for Balance in Our Lives, President James E. Faust

No comments:

Post a Comment